Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Max: minute by minute

18 June 2008

We've been using our fuzzi bunz cloth diapers for almost a week now. I'm so happy we have them. The first month we used disposables because it wasn't cost-effective to buy cloth for the extra small size. I have to admit I was apprehensive when we made the switch. Already overwhelmed by the responsibilities of motherhood, I wasn't sure I could handle the extra laundry. I also was nervous about leaks.

I'm happy to report both concerns were completely unfounded. The diapers fit well and laundering them has been very easy. I feel so much better putting the soft fleece next to his skin. Now, Max has an excellent metabolism since birth. On his first day of life he pooped six times! Sometimes he soils his diaper at 15 minute intervals. Having the cloth diapers certainly takes the sting out of my wallet when I have to change him so frequently. Also, even though it's gross, I feel like I know what's coming out of him a little more which will help me identify problems. The disposable have so much moisture wicking that sometimes it was hard to even detect when he was wet. It's so nice to know that they worked out, and if we have another child, we won't have to buy any diapers. Go earth!

Max's change in diapers has also created a change in his clothing size. The cloth are a bit bulkier than the disposables, so he can finally wear some outfits that I have been just dying to put on him. Today he sports his first "surfer boy" look: an aqua onsie with orange stripes and a shark logo. Too cute! Of course we also had to say good-bye to his first few outfits. He's outgrown his Dad's Team and his Disney onsies. So big, so fast. He's 8 1/2 pounds. I can't believe some babies are born this big. I asked Dr. O (his pediatrician) if there was anyway I could feed him so that he'd grow healthy, but not so fast.

Sadly, she said no. So, go Max: Grow!

No comments: