Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hello Miracle!

On May 13, 2008 at 11:11am, I gave birth.

My husband, Andres, and I welcomed our son, Maximilian, to the world, but that wasn't the only birth that day. I also gave birth to a family and a set of new identities, mommy and daddy. I created aunts, uncles, cousins, godparents, and grandparents. This blog celebrates and explores those creations.

The title of this blog comes from a nickname my husband gave me while we were walking our dog one night. I was in the middle of my pregnancy at the time. Andres was telling me about his massage class where they were studying Eastern philosophy. His teacher defined a guru as "someone who opens your eyes and shows you the world in a new way." Andres told me that's what I've done for him. He patted my belly and called me "mama guru." I melted and the name was born.


Tomorrow I will have been a mother for a month. The cliche is true; time goes by so quickly with a child. I am a new mom, still learning minute by minute. And yet, my identity as a mother is already profoundly entrenched in my core.

I am mama guru, and this is the beginning.

1 comment:

Kaden said...

Rebecca cofino can you do you baby masage video and take jack DIPER OF